Welcome to The Game Shelf!

After getting into the board game hobby at the end of 2014, we've decided to share our thoughts on the games we're collecting on our shelves. The collection has certainly expanded over the last few years and we've been making up for lost time!

Sometimes our opinions differ, so Amy will be posting reviews every Tuesday and Fi will post on Thursdays. We hope you enjoy reading some of our opinions on board games - especially those for two players.

Get in touch by emailing thegameshelfblog@gmail.com

Saturday 16 June 2018

The Game Shelf Reviews:- Hack Trick

Game: Hack Trick: It's Hacking Time

Publisher: Mind Fitness Games

Designer: József Dorsonczky

Year: 2015



Hack Trick is a small 2-player game that was completely not on our radar. After recently playing the game for review, it seems a shame that this small box game has been missed, even though it appears to have had a recent reprinting in the UK with the sutitle 'It's Hacking Time'.

Hack Trick is a deduction game which is really a twist on traditional noughts and crosses. Thankfully, unlike noughts and crosses, Hack Trick is not a solved game and it has some great mechanisms that really make you plan ahead and try to outthink your opponent. Let us tell you more about this compact and intriguing little game.




Gameplay

At the start of Hack Trick one player is dealth a hand of 4 cards and the other a hand of 3, then two card will be discarded face up so everyone can see. The player who has 4 cards will be the second player and will pick one of their four cards to place face up to be the starting card. Both players will then tell each other the sum of the values of all the cards in their hand.

You objective is to either get 3 of your virus cubes in a line on the board, or get 3 cubes on one location. On each turn you have 2 major actions to choose from, you can hack a location by playing a number card, you add this number to the number of the last card played to get a value from 1-9 and then place a cube of your colour on the map at that location. If there are any of your opponents cubes there you claim them for later use. Alternatively you can instead draw a card from the deck and end your turn.

Hack Trick Ready to play, the bottom row is where players play cards, so with the 1 there the next play could be any location between 1 and 6.
On top of this you have a couple of extra actions, you can spend one of your opponents cubes that you have captured to get them to tell you the sum of the cards in their hand. You can sacrifice one of your own cubes to force them to play a card next turn, or you can sacrifice one of your cubes to prevent them from doing that to you on their next turn. But be careful doing these too much as you lose the game if you have no cubes left!

Amy’s Final Thoughts

Hack Trick is a game that grew on me, the first time we played it seemed that the game was more about dumb luck than strategy. I was completely mistaken. Cards vary in values from 0-5 and there are 3 of each number, so as the game develops you can plan your moves based on what you know is in play and in your opponents hand. If you need a certain number and you know (from spying on them) that your opponent can set you up then that's a perfect time to hack them and force them to play. Similarly knowing when to set up your firewall to defend is incredibly difficult, but can be the difference between victory and defeat.

There certainly is luck involved in Hack Trick, and I think that's why the rules suggest playing to the best of 3. But the game is really about card counting, if you have a good memory for what your opponent has, and can work out the rough odds of getting what you want then you are sure to win. But it's a far cry from playing poker, all the evidence is laid out in front of you, so if all 3 fours have already been played then both players will be fully aware.

That said the game is not without it's issues, sometimes it feels like every move you make can be instantly countered. If happen to have the same hand as your opponent then it's quite possible to get a situation where you claimed, for example, area 7; only to have them take it back instantly, leaving you in a purely worse condition. Now your opponent has a cube on the board, you have none, and on top of that they can use the cube they took to spy on you. Some games it seemed that I had no presence on the map from the get go and it was only a matter of time until my loss. Hack Trick also has a fairly weak theme, although it is integrated into the art style fairly well, when you are playing you in no way feel like you are hacking into computer networks across the globe. You are too busy concentrating on counting cards and fretting about your opponent's moves.


Fi’s Final Thoughts

Hack Trick provides me with a perfect bite-sized mental challenge. It's a deduction game with just two or three channels to think about at one time, and although you're trying to second guess your opponent, you're not really trying to mind read, you're just weighing up the chances of what their next move might be. We don't spend too long deliberating over a turn, but based on the cards visible on the table as well as information you know from spying on them and hearing their hand's total value, there's a lot of quick probability calculations you can make.

Although some games seem to have a higher dose of luck than others, the game is fast and I'm constantly searching for an 'ah-ha' moment where I pull of something truely clever by deducing what's in my opponent's hand, forcing them to play it, using the hack action and then winning the game as a result of what they play. I've been wanting to play the game more and more to see if familiarity will lead to more satisfying games, and it really has. As the actions become more second nature, it feels like the luck in the game diminishes and you are taking more control.

The game's components are really quite basic, but the decisions are fantastic. We've taken this out of the box, slotted the components, including the three part board, into our Quiver and taken the game on holiday. Hack Trick is a pretty unique game in our collection and it's great to find a new small game to give the mind some exercise and have a great two-player experience.

The Good
  • Hack Trick is a game that slowly grew on us. At first it seemed really random, but then it had some moments where you can make some really clever deductions.
  • The game is super portable - it was a great one for us to take on holiday.
  • Hack Trick is a unique two-player experience for us - we don't own anything else like it.
The Bad
  • Sometimes it feels like you just get worse luck that your opponent.
  • The game can seem quite simple and repetitive until you get used to using the Hack, Spy and Firewall actions with some skill.
The Verdict
7/10 Hack Trick is a very clever and portable game. It's a great example of a simple and effective two-player deduction game and we'd definitely reccommend that you give it try.

Hack Trick was a review copy provided to the Board Game Exposure reviewer collective.

15 comments:


  1. Hello everyone! If you require the service of a hacker to help you hack any phone device, computer, recover scam bitcoin, etc. contact (wisetechhack@ gmail .com) he helped me gain full access into my husband's phone remotely and my husband didn’t get to notice it. He's reliable, tell him I referred you he'd help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you need help on how to hire a professional hacker who offers remote mobile phone cloning, website hacks, recovery of stolen cryptocurrency assets, boost of credit scores etc? Send a detailed email to RecoveryBureauC @ gmail c0m for the best assistance.

      Delete
  2. I appreciate kolarov monte for making me realise the truth to a certified hacker who knows a lot about what his doing. I strongly recommend you hire him because his the best out there and always delivers. I have referred over 10 people to him and all had positive results. He can help you hack into any devices, social networks including – Facebook, Hangout, Messages, Twitter accounts, Snap chat , Instagram, Whatsapp, wechat, text messages ,smartphones cloning ,tracking emails and also any other social media messenger or sites. It’s advisable to hire a professional hacker. Thank me later. Contact him here.hackrighttech @gmail com although he’s quite expensive so you have to be ready for the service,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Few weeks ago I had a suspicion on my spouse seeing someone else so I became curious to know what she’s been up to lately so I searched the internet for a reliable and competent tech genius who can retrieve and grant me access to all her texts, call logs and audio-visual contents both current and deleted files. Fortunately for me I saw many positive recommendations about RecoveryBureauC @ gmail, c0m then I hired him and he was able to grant me access to her phone files. I got to discover she’s been unfaithful all along our marriage. This piece of information gave me the peace of mind I ever deserved. He’s amazing, you can contact him now for the best help

      Other services include: Recovery of stolen or lost cryptocurrency assets, boost of credit scores, upgrade of academic results etc

      Email: RECOVERYBUREAUC @ GMAIL, C0M

      Delete
  3. My spouse and I decided it was time to do our married planning. My mail to spyhackelite @gmail com made the process easy. He listened to me, what we wanted and made great recommendations on how we can best plan for the future. He explained in simple language all the documents that I were signing and I found out the kind of man I have been living with. I would recommend him for hacking and recovery needs. Thanks once again spyhackelite @gmail com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're looking for a top-quality phone monitoring solution, remotespywise @gmail com is the answer. Their innovative application and link works quickly and easily, so you can get started right away. Installation is simple and takes just a few minutes, so you'll be up and running in no time. And their friendly support chat is always available to answer any questions you may have. They are the best when it comes to any kind of cellphone monitoring services

    ReplyDelete
  5. A group of experts in Bitcoin recovery who live, respire, and consume create Daniel Meuli Web Recovery. These seasoned experts are familiar with the complexities of the bitcoin market and are equipped with a variety of tactics to handle even the most difficult recovery situations. When it comes to finding misplaced Bitcoin, their combined knowledge and experience make them the ideal dream team. You may be confident that Daniel Meuli Web Recovery places a high premium on your security and privacy. They follow stringent procedures to protect the privacy of your personal data while it is being recovered. Furthermore, your private information is shielded from prying eyes thanks to their secured communication methods. With your Bitcoin and your mind, you may put your faith in them. To kickstart the recovery process, Daniel Meuli Web Recovery will conduct an initial assessment of your case. They'll consult with you to gather all the necessary details about your lost Bitcoin, such as transaction history, wallet addresses, and any other relevant information. This is crucial for them to formulate an effective recovery plan. Daniel Meuli Web Recovery will search far into the massive ocean of data using their cutting-edge blockchain analysis technologies in order to locate and track your misplaced Bitcoin. They'll look at transaction trends, look for weak links in the chain, and find any clues that might be useful in a successful recovery. With Bitcoin, it's similar to seeing Sherlock Holmes solve a challenging case. After gaining a thorough grasp of your situation and all the required details, Daniel Meuli Web Recovery will create a customized recovery plan. A combination of legal maneuvers, third-party negotiations, or even technological wizardry may be used in this method. You can be confident they'll do all in their power to return your Bitcoin home. As the recovery plan unfolds, Daniel Meuli Web Recovery will work tirelessly to bring your lost Bitcoin back into your possession. They'll keep you updated throughout the process, providing regular progress reports and ensuring you're always in the loop. Once the recovery is successful, you can finally breathe a sigh of relief as your beloved Bitcoin is returned to its rightful owner. Contact these expert to gain help via: Danielmeuliweberecovery (AT) email .come

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm writing to share an unpleasant experience, so that you can be aware if
    something similar happens to you. Recently, my mother lost a substantial amount
    of money after being scammed on Facebook, as someone had pretended to be one of
    her Facebook friends and defrauded her.

    I was desperate to help, so I looked on Google for possible solutions. To my
    relief, I found numerous good reviews of a company called TECHSPYPRO . I took a
    chance, and they were able to help my mother retrieve her $200,000.00 USD.

    If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, I highly recommend getting
    in touch with them via Email: techspypro@gmail.com

    Hope this information helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s 100% possible to hack with the help of a professional ethics was hired by my best friend to hack his cheating wife phone with just her number .. he did an excellent job for him cause my best friend was able to access his cheating wife’s WhatsApp using a phone number anytime on her phone .. I believe this expert service I mentioned below has solution to your search .
    There is no need to delay . Take a bold step today cause you already have the right channel capable of hacking any social media platform …

    E ma il - Hackerone975 @ g ma il c om

    ReplyDelete
  8. After noticing suspicious behaviors from my wife I confronted her about concerns. However, she denied any wrongdoing, leaving me with no choice but to seek the assistance of a phone hacking company called HACKERONE975 that my mate recommended to me. HACKERONE975 , a trusted company, helped me uncover my wife's affair discreetly. With their expert analysis of digital communications, they provided undeniable evidence of the clandestine relationship. Though the revelation was painful, their support and guidance helped me make informed decisions. HACKERONE975 's services provide hope and clarity for those seeking answers in difficult times, empowering individuals to confront their circumstances and move forward with confidence . You can reach them on hackeronne975 @ g ma il c om

    ReplyDelete
  9. The truly scary thing about cheating is that, it brings distrust and lack to give love after being cheated. Do you need help contact him on Email remotespywise @gmail com, on how to spy, track and catch a cheating spouse? Who can help would be the best personnel to help reach out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Carefully read a review about Hackerone975 at gmil c0m that has been endorsed by several people, therefore I am not the first to do so, but I still want to express my happiness at having made the right decision in trusting my gut and Hackerone975 at Gmil C0m positive evaluations. I would have still been deeply in debt if not for the decision I made, but Hackerone975 has now eliminated all of that debt. Everyone, including you, is entitled to be delighted, thus in order to obtain it, I advise you to get in touch with the top players. Anyone who has suffered a loss in cryptocurrency trading can get help from Hackerone975 at gmi,l com trust your mind for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honestly, The best thing that ever happened to me literally, was finding the contact of this genius hackertech669 @ gm ail’ c om . This man granted me full access to an iPhone belonging to my girlfriend of 6 years. I saw her WhatsApp messages she was sending adult picture and videos to my so called friend and sleeping with him while I was away in Germany working so hard so we would have a better life. This genius helped me retrieve messages she deleted, emails and even call logs. she was doing this to me. I was away for just 6 months and was going to ask her to marry me when I got back Miami. I’m glad I followed my heart and again big thanks to hackertech669 @ gm ail’ c om for not letting me ruin my own life. He recently helped a friend of mine fix his records, taking out hard inquiries and collections. He offers many other services I can’t mention here

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've met a lot of fake hackers online and I've decided not to work with anyone until my friends recommended HACKERONE975 @ G MA IL C OM to me. I gave them a try because I trust my friends and THEY trust me, now I can say this is the only legit Hacker right now. The others are just fake. HACKERONE975 helped me clear my husband's record and helped us get proof against someone who tried to cheat us financially. I thought all was lost but after we worked with HACKERONE975 @ G MA IL C OM Our family became stronger and we were able to win all our battles against our oppressors. So I'm recommending this team to anyone and everyone who's in need of any professional hack services. They're reliable and trustworthy and transparent. 100%.

    You can contact them through em ail at HACKERONE975 @ G MA IL C OM

    Try them and thank me later. Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Getting into your suspected cheating spouse phone requires you hire the tech prowess of exceptional phone tracking and monitoring personnel at RECOVERYBUREAUC @ GMAIL, C0M. This expert has proven to be efficient and effective overtime as he gave me remote access to my cheating wife’s phone without hassle and at affordable rate. Then I figured out that she’s been cheating all along our affair through the proof I got from RecoveryBureauC spy process. He’s a total pro and the real deal. Hire him for all phone monitoring, cloning, spying and tracking services

    Email: RECOVERYBUREAUC @ GMAIL, C0M

    WhatsApp: +44 7586 868096

    Website: www.RecoveryBureauCapp.c0m

    ReplyDelete